City-Parish Council Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the agenda published?
The agenda is normally published on the Friday prior to the meeting in the Daily Advertiser, barring no conflicts with a holiday. If the public would like to pick up a copy, it is available at the City Hall Information Desk, the Council office or on the LCG website on Thursday afternoon, prior to the meeting.
- What are the procedures for speaking at a meeting?
A citizen may fill out a blue speaker sheet and turn in to the Clerk, "prior" to the reading of the agenda item.
- Who do you contact for copies of ordinances and/or resolutions?
Call the Council Office at (337) 291-8800.
- When are the Council members in the office?
Council members work full time jobs. The job as an elected Council Member is considered to be a temporary part-time position. Council staff takes messages for Council members and relays those directly to the Council Member.
- What is the difference between the Administration Offices and the Council?
The Administration exercises general executive and administrative authority; whereas the Council is the legislative body which adopts the laws of the city-parish.
- When and what time are the Council/LPUA meetings held?
The Lafayette Public Utilities Authority (LPUA) meetings are held every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month beginning at 4:30 p.m. Council meetings are held every 1st, 3rd and 4th Tuesday of each month beginning at 5:30 p.m. The meetings are aired live on AOC 2 on both LUS Fiber-Channel 4 and on Cox-Channel 16 and replayed on the following Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- Where do you get city maps?
Chamber of Commerce (337) 233-2705, Lafayette Convention & Visitors Bureau (337) 232-3737 or Lafayette Consolidated Government’s Maps/GIS Division (337) 291-8879.
- Where and when are the minutes from the council meetings posted?
Minutes are published on the Friday following the meeting in the Daily Advertiser and are placed on the council website. The proceedings/minutes of the Council Meetings are a synopsis, and are not verbatim.
- When is the next council election and is there a fee to run?
The date for the Primary Election is October 24, 2015; and the date for the General Election is November 21, 2015. Thereafter, the next election would not be held until 2019. Candidates must qualify with the Clerk of Court, with the 2015 qualifying dates scheduled for September 8, 9 and 10. For fees associated with qualifying, you may contact the Clerk of Court’s Elections Division at (337) 291-6368. In lieu of fees, a candidate may present a nominating petition with at least 100 signatures.
- Where do you pick up a certificate of occupancy?
Customer Service (337) 291-8280.
- What is the number for Section 8 Housing?
- Who do you contact if you want to have street lights put in a neighborhood?
LCG/LUS at (337) 291-5832, located on Walker Rd.
- Who do you call to get an alligator out of the ditch?
Wildlife & Fisheries - State Department
- Who do you contact to report signs in the public right of way?
Planning, Zoning & Development at (337) 291-8445
- What is the address and phone number of Lafayette Economic Development Authority?
The address is 211 East Devalcourt Street and the phone number is (337) 593-1400.
- What is the phone number for Housing Rehab or 1st Time Home Buyer assistance in Community Development?
The phone number is (337) 291-8401 located at City Hall, 705 W. University, 2nd Floor.
- Who does someone call if being evicted from their apartment or home?
Community Development's Human Services Manager, at (337) 291-8447.
- Who do you speak to about leasing public roads for oil and gas use?
Purchasing, Thomasina Oliver at (337) 291-8259.
- What is the phone number to report wildlife in distress?
- What is the Compost number?
- Who do you call for garbage or recycling complaints?
Public Works (337) 291-8518.
- Who do you call to see about having a horse buried?
Public Works at (337) 291-8517.
- Where does someone dump household scrap?
Southern Scrap located on Cameron Street.
- Where is the Driver's License Office located?
3242 N.W. Evangeline Thruway, Suite A, at the intersection of Gloria Switch Road and Evangeline Thruway (337) 886-3713.
- What is the number for Eagle Exploration - (Seismic Testing)?