City-Parish Council Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When is the agenda published?
    Agenda is published on the Friday prior to the meeting in the Daily Advertiser. If the public would like to pick up a copy, it is available at the Council office or on the LCG website on Thursday afternoon, prior to the meeting.
  2. What are the procedures for speaking at a meeting?
    A citizen may fill out a blue sheet and turn in to the Clerk, prior to the reading of the agenda item.
  3. Who do you contact for copies of ordinances and/or resolutions?
    Call the Council Office at (337) 291-8800.
  4. When are the Council members in the office?
    All Council members work full time jobs. The job as an elected official is considered to be a temporary part-time position. Council staff takes messages for Council members and relays those directly.
  5. What is the difference between the Administration Offices and the Council?
    The Administration exercises general executive and administrative authority whereas the Council is the legislative body which adopts the laws of the city-parish.
  6. When and what time are the Council/LPUA meetings held?
    Joint Council/LPUA meetings are held every 1st, 3rd and 4th Tuesday of each month beginning at 5:30 p.m. The meetings are aired live on AOC Channel 16 and replayed on the following Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
  7. Where do you get city maps?
    Chamber of Commerce (337) 233-2705 or Lafayette Convention & Visitors Bureau (337) 232-3737.
  8. Where and when are the minutes from the council meetings posted?
    Minutes are published on the Friday following the meeting in the Daily Advertiser and on the council website.
  9. When is the next council election and is there a fee to run?
    The tentative date for the Primary Election is October 22, 2011 and the tentative date for the General Election is November 19, 2011. Candidates must qualify with the Clerk of Court with tentative qualifying dates of September 6, 7 and 8. Candidates for City-Parish Council must pay a $115 qualifying fee. Republican and Democratic candidates must also pay a $57.50 State Central Committee fee. Parish Committees may also require a $57.50 Parish Executive Committee fee for Republican and Democratic candidates. In lieu of fees, a candidate may present a nominating petition with at least 100 signatures.
  10. Where do you pick up a certificate of occupancy?
    Customer Service (337) 291-8280.
  11. What is the number for Section 8 Housing?
    (337) 232-3515
  12. Who do you contact if you want to have street lights put in a neighborhood?
    Shane Thomas at (337) 291-5832. Located on Walker Rd.
  13. Who do you call to get an alligator out of the ditch?
    Wildlife & Fisheries
  14. Who do you contact to get permission to put a sign on a public right of way?
    Public Works at (337) 291-8517
  15. What is the address and phone number of Lafayette Economic Development Authority?
    The address is 211 East Devalcourt Street and the phone number is (337) 593-1400.
  16. Where does someone go to pick up papers for community service?
    ATAC - 2100 Jefferson Street Suite 102-A and the phone number is (337) 291-8845.
  17. Who does someone call if being evicted from their apartment or home?
    Community Development's Human Services Manager, at (337) 291-8447.
  18. Who do you speak to about leasing public roads for oil and gas use?
    Purchasing, Thomasina Oliver at (337) 291-8259.
  19. What is the phone number to report wildlife in distress?
    (337) 232-0121
  20. What is the Compost number?
  21. Who do you call for garbage complaints?
    Public Works (337) 291-8518.
  22. Who do you call to see about having a horse buried?
    Public Works at (337) 291-8517.
  23. Where does someone dump household scrap?
    Southern Scrap located on Cameron Street.
  24. Where is the Driver's License Office located?
    3242 N.W. Evangeline Thruway, Suite A, at the intersection of Gloria Switch Road and Evangeline Thruway (337) 886-3713.
  25. What is the number for Eagle Exploration - (Seismic Testing)?
    (337) 234-7760.