The Regulatory Compliance Section ensures the Department of Public Works follows state and federal environmental regulations in the areas of
- Asbestos and lead
- Underground and aboveground storage tanks
- Solid waste and hazardous materials
- Environmental site assessments
- Closed landfill permit compliance
- Wetland documentation and permitting
- LDEQ discharge permits procurement and compliance
- Stormwater pollution prevention through good housekeeping policy development and trainings
Regulatory Compliance also administers the state issued Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit aimed at improving water quality throughout the Vermilion Watershed. The robust programs implemented to fulfill the MS4 permit requirements facilitate our ability to:
- Prevent and address environmental hazards through regular and proactive inspections of commercial, industrial, and construction sites.
- Learn more about construction site permitting and compliance here.
- Investigate citizen complaints and concerns through inspections and enforcement of our Stormwater Ordinance.
- Engage the community through a variety of educational initiatives and community improvement programs such as:
- Implement MS4 program measures throughout the watershed by working closely with MS4 Co-Permittees and other entities.
If you have any questions, please contact Jackie Vargas-Beitia at (337) 291-8529 or email JVargas-Beitia@LafayetteLA.gov.