Regulatory Compliance FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does water entering the storm drains get treated?

No - the water goes directly to the Vermilion River and other local waterways.

2. Can grass cuttings be blown into the street and down the storm drains?

No - grass and other waste materials entering the storm drain system can hinder proper drainage and affect local water quality. Keep grass on the lawn, it's natural fertilizer.

3. What is erosion control?

It is anything that will keep soil on site and out of streets and storm drains. This may include silt fencing, berms and properly placed hay bales. Natural vegetation is the best method to control erosion; roots and ground cover will hold the soil on site.

4. Why is erosion control necessary?

Eroding soil and mud, sometimes due to land being disturbed as a result of construction activities, ends up in the streets, drains, ditches, and water ways. Important topsoil is lost while contributing to poor water quality and possible clogged storm drains.

5. What do I do if I see hazardous materials, unidentifiable drums/barrels, untreated sewage, or any other potential environmental concerns?

Contact Public Works Environmental Quality Division at (337) 291-8529 or LCG EQ Hotline.

6. Where can I dispose of household hazardous waste and old paint?

The Public Works Environmental Quality Division Recycling Section gives out information on how to dispose of or recycle numerous items. Please visit their link or call the Environmental Quality Division at 291-8529.

7. Can I tour the Closed Dugas Landfill?

Yes - We take groups or individuals on tours, educating on everything from how an active landfill works to what is involved with the upkeep of the closed landfill. To schedule a tour call the Regulatory Compliance Section at 291-8529.