The goal of the Fire Prevention division is to prevent fires and loss of life through code enforcement and public education. This division reviews plans for new construction to assure fire codes and building codes are followed.
FIRE PREVENTION PERSONNEL:
The Fire Prevention division is allocated eleven (11) personnel composed of one (1) Chief of Fire Prevention, six (6) Fire Inspectors, three (3) Fire Investigators, and one (1) Departmental Records Clerk.
- Personnel within this division enforce codes to reduce the loss of life and property from fires and explosions. They also investigate the cause and origin of fires.
- Personnel are authorized to perform these duties as granted by the City Council, the City of Lafayette, and the State Fire Marshal’s Office as per LA R.S. 40:1563, Paragraph C, and LA R.S. 14:156.
- Enforce codes adopted by the International Fire Prevention Code and various National Fire Codes as adopted by City Ordinance & various other ordinances under Chapter 38 of the City Code of Ordinances as adopted by the City Council; and NFPA-101 “Life Safety Code” as adopted by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
- Performs Certificate of Occupancy inspections.
- Other duties include public education, complaints and the keeping of records on all commercial building in the City of Lafayette.
(A) FIRE PREVENTION SECTION
- Conduct annual inspections of commercial building within the City of Lafayette for code violations.
- Receives complaints from the public on hazards or on possible violations of fire codes, records all information, and processes the complaint following department procedures.
- Oversees fire safety in public assembly occupancies at major public events.
- Inspects fixed fire extinguishing systems, fire detection systems, and alarm systems by making periodic checks to assure that qualified personnel are maintaining and testing systems and by observing or assisting with these tests, when required.
- Promotes fire safety education with lectures and demonstrations by using the Fire Safety House, films, etc.
- Provides smoke detectors to low income families, handicapped, and senior citizens.
- Issue permits for public events whether indoors or outdoors
(B) ARSON INVESTIGATION SECTION
- Investigates all questionable fires within the City and Parish to determine cause and origin.
- Performs follow-up on investigations through final conviction of arsonists.
- Administer investigative reports.