Planning, Zoning, and Development is a “one-stop-shop” for businesses and individuals involved in a variety of activities, including:
- Purchasing or developing property (platting, subdivisions, plan review);
- Undertaking construction projects (permitting, inspections); and
Condemning Unsafe Structures
Opening or relocating businesses (certificates of occupancy, land use regulations).
The Department is also responsible for assisting citizens with requests for:
- Zoning variances or reclassification;
- Abandonments of easements or rights-of-way;
- Annexation of land into the City of Lafayette; and
- Implementing PlanLafayette, a long range comprehensive plan;
- Regional transportation planning; and
- Including a property on the Lafayette Parish Register of Historic Properties.
The Department is divided into four Divisions each handling unique responsibilities.
UNIFIED DEVELOPMENT CODE (UDC) - Effective December 7, 2015
Metropolitan Planning Organization 337-291-8453 (click here for the MPO’s website)
ETrakIt is an online search engine for activities of the Planning, Zoning, & Development Department. ETrakIt can show viewers all building permits for a particular address, projects going through Commercial Plan Review, developments that are going before the Planning Commission or the Hearing Examiner, variances up for review by the Board of Zoning Adjustment, as well as rezoning requests to be heard by the Zoning Commission. ETrakIt is an invaluable source for PZD information to the building, architecture and surveyor communities.
ETrakIt: Search Building Permit Records
Offices are located in the Clifton Chenier Center, 220 West Willow Street, Building B. Regular office hours are 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Meetings of the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Board of Zoning Adjustment, and the Lafayette Preservation Commission are held on site.
After Hours Emergency Phone Numbers:
Eleanor Bouy (Department Director) is 337.349.0044 (c)
(Building Official) is 337.349.5701
Greg Wiltz (Chief Electrical Inspector) is 337.349.5710
David Cloteaux (Chief Plumbing Inspector) is 337.349.5706
Bruce Williams (Chief Building Inspector) is 337.349.5703
John Broyles (Permit Supervisor) is 337.322.0734