UPDATE: Police Urge Safety for 2013 Halloween
Lafayette, LA – The Lafayette Police Department has fielded many questions related to the timing of Trick or Treat activities for Halloween. Trick or Treat will take place from 6-8 p.m. on October 31, and there are no plans underway to change the date or time in the city of Lafayette or the unincorporated portions of the parish.
Lafayette Police begin to prepare for Halloween several weeks in advance and will be prepared regardless of the weather. In the event of bad weather, members of the public are encouraged to use additional caution as they would for any other inclement weather event. The public is also encouraged to be safe by following the below tips.
Police Urge Safety For Those Taking Part in Halloween
Original Release: October 7, 2013 @ 8:15 am
Lafayette, LA - Halloween will be celebrated on Thursday, October 31, 2013, between the hours of 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm, within the City of Lafayette. The Lafayette Police Department has the following recommendations to assure a safe and enjoyable Halloween.
• Choose costumes that are marked flame retardant and add reflective tape or reflectors to darker colored costumes.
• All children should remain under the direct supervision of parents or guardians.
• Carry a flashlight or other illuminant device.
• Have children stay within their own familiar neighborhood and only visit homes they know.
• Adults should inspect all candy prior to the children indulging.
• Give and accept wrapped or packaged candy only.
• Have props such as magic wands and swords constructed out of cardboard rather than metal or wood. This will avoid unnecessary injuries.
• Drive vehicles cautiously in areas where children are trick or treating.
Finally, for those adults that will be attending parties for Halloween, please do not drink and drive. The Lafayette Police Department will be patrolling in the neighborhoods to assure a safe Halloween.