1. When is the tall grass in violation?
2. How long will it take to get the grass cut?This can take a few weeks. We must notify the property owner in writing and allow them a specified amount of time (defined by local codes) to clean and abate the violation. Then we re-inspect and if the grass is still not cut, we hire an independent contractor to perform the abatement.
3. Should I leave my name and phone number when calling in a tall grass or trash complaint?Yes. You may be able to assist the Environmental Inspector with questions concerning the complaint or property.
4. Who is the current solid waste contractor for Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG)?LCG contracts out solid waste, yard waste collection, and "bulky" waste in the city and unincorporated areas of Lafayette Parish. Currently, Allied Waste is the contractor that collects solid waste, yard waste, and bulky waste. For more information about waste collection, please call 291-8518.
5. Who do I call if my household trash or yard waste is not picked up?Call Allied Waste (232-5730) and notify them of the problem. If this is an on-going problem, please contact the LCG Environmental Quality Division at 291-8518.
6. What is "bulky" waste?Large items that will not fit into the 96-gallon garbage cart. It includes large appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washing machines, clothes dryers, water heaters, and large microwave ovens. Bulky waste also includes residential furniture, large children’s toys, and other large items such as large dog carrying cages, and other large items. (Click here to see a list of items that are collected) If you have a question as to whether an item qualifies as bulky waste, please contact us at 291-8518 or 291-8529.
7. How can I get bulky waste collected?Bulky waste is collected once per month by Allied Waste. All residents are in a zone or area that is scheduled for bulky collection one week of each month. To find out your week of the month for bulky collection, please do the following: (a) on the menu at the top of this page go to "I want to"; (b) select "see maps"; (c) select "curbside collection maps"; (d) click on the "Large Appliances and Furniture" map; (e) enter your address and click on "locate" and your address will come up with the designation of Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, or Week 4; (f) place the item[s] out on the Sunday night before your designated collection week, and call Allied Waste [232-5730] to report what you have placed out for collection, and your address. The large items will be picked up sometime that week.
8. Why are tires not collected by Allied Waste?Tires were banned from landfills in 1992, therefore Allied Waste will not pick them up. Louisiana residents may drop off up to five tires per day for free at two locations in Lafayette Parish. Click here to get details in the Lafayette PRIDE Guide on disposal of tires. (NOTE: It is page 11 of the PRIDE Guide)
9. How can I get more information about solid waste (garbage and yard waste) collection, local environmental codes or how to participate in keeping Lafayette Parish clean and beautiful?Please call us at (337) 291-8518.
Contact Us |
Site Map |
705 West University Avenue, Lafayette, Louisiana 70506
For General Information/Questions Please Call: (337) 291-8200