Mike Mouton, Emergency Operations/Security Coordinator
Phone: (337) 291-8358
- In 1983 Mike Mouton began his career in law enforcement in the patrol division at the Lafayette Parish Sheriffs’ Department.
- In 1984 he was promoted to Major and Warden of the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center and was responsible for achieving the first nationally accredited jail in the State of Louisiana.
- He received numerous awards for his accomplishments in the field of corrections and security procedures, and served on the State committee for creating the first set of jail standards in the State of Louisiana.
- In 1993 he left the Sheriffs’ Department to become the Chief Administrative Officer of the City of Lafayette until consolidation and played a vital role in the merger of the City and Parish governments.
- In 1996, he became the Deputy Chief Administrative Officer of the city under the Walter Comeaux Administration, and
- In 1997, he was the Director of Administrative Services.
- Since 1997-present he holds the position of Emergency Operations / Security Coordinator and the Director of Homeland Security for Lafayette Consolidated Government.
Academic and Honor Information:
Mike Mouton is a graduate of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the Peace Officer Training Academy, The Peace Officer Standards and Training Academy for Correctional Officers and the Institute of Police Technology and Management for Police Budgets from the University of North Florida.
Throughout his professional career in government he has served and/or belonged to many civic organizations and government committee groups:
- Citizens of Direct Action, Beaver Club
- Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- The Boy’s Club of Acadiana
- The American Red Cross
- The American Correctional Association
- Taxicab Control Board
- The 911 Communication District Board
- The VITA Program
- The Love Reading Program
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Louisiana Sheriff’s Association
- Louisiana Jail Wardens’ Association
In addition he has received commendations and meritorious awards from the following organizations:
- Monsignor Teurlings Knights of Columbus
- The United States Marshals Service
- The United States Department of Justice
- Immigration and Naturalization Service
- National Hurricane Association
- Special Friends of Junior Deputies
- Jeanerette Jaycees as Outstanding Youth Worker
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- The Louisiana Sheriff’s Association