As a result of consolidation of the City and the Parish, and following the events of 9/11, the Administration identified a need for a Department that would be responsible for initiating, developing and coordinating all security and emergency management activities for Lafayette City/Parish Consolidated Government.
Duties of the Emergency Operations / Security Coordinator:
- Homeland Security Coordinator for Lafayette Consolidated Government.
- Volunteer Fireman coordinator and monitor.
- Mosquito Control Program - Contract Monitor.
- Operations Coordinator for declared and non-declared emergencies.
- Overseer of radio user fee agreements.
- Designated liaison from Lafayette Parish for the Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness, before, during and after a disaster.
- Exercises supervisory discretions and authority of the CAOs’ office during matters of emergency operations and security.
- Serves on the 911 Lafayette Parish Communications District Board.
- Researches, analyzes, and conducts studies of resources in both the private and public sector as to needs to cope with any and all emergencies.
- Author of the first Hurricane Handbook for Lafayette Parish.
- Assists Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness in disaster planning and evacuation preparation procedures.
- Conducts and participates in exercises by the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness in testing of the Emergency Operations Plan for Lafayette Parish.
- Serves on the Critical Needs committee for the Homeland Security grant program.
- Participates in exercises for the Airport Disaster Plan Exercises.
- Conducts meetings and advises local officials as to techniques for organizing to carry out emergency operations, as well as planning, to meet pre-disaster and post disaster situations.
- Develops and coordinates educational programs for schools as they pertain to mosquito related diseases, security procedures and evacuations plans.
- Supervises and coordinates the Special Needs Shelter with the Department of Health and Hospitals during activations of that shelter during a hurricane.
- Coordinates and assists the Department of Health and Hospitals in regards plans and locations for a possible chemical or biological attack.
- Develops security plans for all Lafayette Consolidated Government personnel, buildings, equipment and real property.
- Conducts evaluations and makes recommendations to Administration for large festival type events.
- Serves as official liaison between departmental directors, other agencies, personnel and the general public.
- Develops and implements grant programs for security and emergency programs.
- Provides technical assistance in the Parish-wide emergency response program.
- Coordinates the emergency staff program and supervises volunteers during and emergency.
- Applies for disaster recovery monies from State and Federal agencies.