Mardi Gras Events/Parades (LCVC)
2013 Public Works Mardi Gras Schedule
Lafayette Consolidated Government Public Works Department will be preparing for parades and other activities. Below is a work schedule:
- Thursday, January 31 - 8:00 am - Place barricades at the beginning of the parade route (Downtown area). We start at the Jefferson/Simcoe St. intersection and place along the route up to the Vermilion/Johnston St. intersection.
- Friday, February 1 - 8:00 am - Start up again with barricade placement at Vermilion/Johnston St. intersection, continue down Johnston St. to N. College (Albertson's/Cici's Pizza shopping center) and then head up N. College to the UL entrance at Reinhardt Dr. Barricades will be placed to allow "turn lanes" and cross-overs at the major intersections along Johnston St. and N. College Dr.
- Saturday, February 2 - 6:30 pm - Public Works crews move the barricades to the sides of the roads and clean up litter and debris along the route.
- Thursday, February 7 - 8:00 am - Place barricades from sides of the road back along the "Downtown" parade route up to Johnston St.
- Friday, February 8 - 8:00 am - Place barricades from the sides of the road back along the "Johnston/N. College" parade route.
- Saturday, February 9 - 6:30 pm - Crews clean up litter and debris along the parade route. Barricades stay in place.
- Tuesday, February 12 - MARDI GRAS DAY - 2:00 pm – Crews move barricades from the route to the sides of the roads.
- Tuesday, February 12 - 11:00 pm until... - Crews clean up litter and debris along the parade route and adjacent areas.
- Wednesday, February 13 - No work for Public Works Operations Streets and Drainage crews
- Thursday, February 14 and Friday, February 15 - 7:00 am - Pick up barricades from the Mardi Gras route and return them to the PW yard on Dorsett St.
- The parade route is 3.9 miles long.
- We place approximately 5500 barricades along the route and adjacent areas for crowd control and safety reasons.
- We utilize seven (7), 30 cubic yard roll-off dumpsters for trash and debris disposal.
- We utilize 121 portable toilets that are placed along the parade route
Click here for the Parade Route Map .