The City-Parish Attorney is responsible for providing legal representation and support services to all areas of the City-Parish Government, including:
- Serving as chief legal advisor to the City-Parish President, the Consolidated Council and all governmental departments, commissions, offices and agencies.
- Reporting directly to the City-Parish President as appropriate relative to the legal matters of the City-Parish Government.
- Representing Consolidated Government in all legal proceedings and other matters.
- Preparation or approval of contracts or other agreements to which the Consolidated Government or any of its departments, commissions, offices or agencies is a party.
- Directing the activities of the Legal Department and its staff in order to discharge the duties assigned to the City-Parish Attorney.
- Meeting its staffing needs with part-time contract attorneys who serve as Assistant City-Parish Attorneys in order to provide legal services as requested or directed by the City-Parish Attorney.
- Working through the City Prosecutor’s office to prosecute all matters brought before Lafayette City Court.
- Ensuring the highest levels of professionalism and efficiency in legal services provided to all City-Parish Government departments, commissions, offices and agencies, and generating positive results through effective legal representation.
- Maintaining internal controls to regulate the activities of the Legal Department.
Recap of Attorney Payments